Fiat 500e Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 500e Battery / Warranty
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:55 pm 

I am a two vehicle Fiat owner with family members driving one as well. I purchased a 2013 500e Sport model fully loaded with extended warranty added on. I was encouraged by the contract rep that it would be in my best interest to purchase the additional 'extended' warranty, at an additional cost of 3.5K, to aid in any possible problem with the main High Voltage Drive Battery. This suggestion was made because I informed them that this would be my work commute vehicle. The out the door price was just shy of 38k. I began experiencing similar code alerts like the ones posted by others dealing with the engine and charging system failure. Also the distant remaining readouts weren't consistent. Several visits to the dealer service only resulted in "nothings wrong", or "let us know if it happens again". 26 months into ownership and the range began to diminish to the point I had to reduce speed in order to reach work. The reduction in range has continued to the point that to make it home from work (66 miles one way) the velocity could not exceed 53 mph sustained. Finally, I could only drive 60 miles before complete battery exhaustion, so I had to stop and charge to make it home. FCA has been notified several times, and the battery condition confirmed by service several times. FCAs' response has been to continually state that there's nothing wrong with the battery. Since then, the Fiat Dealership that confirmed the battery condition has been closed down. Each Fiat service states that FCA instructed them to tell me there's nothing wrong with the battery. Now, with 82,089 miles on the odometer, my Pearl White 500e sits in my garage gathering dust and spider webs, as it has for the past 10 months, because I'm not allowed to drive it pending outcome. Oh, I'm still making the $500+ payments even though I can't use the car.
So if you're planing on buying a 500e, forget the warranty; save your money. FCA won't honor it or the state mandated warranty of 8 yrs / 100000 miles. If you plan on really "Driving" your 500e, you might consider something else.......buy from a manufacture that cares and supports their product. That's not FCA.

Post subject: Re: 500e Battery / Warranty
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:09 pm 

But if the battery completely failed, they would have to replace it, right?

Get them to state in writing at what range they consider the battery defective. Get it in writing. Tell them if you don't get it in writing, you will take them to small claims court.

You just have to kick a little butt.

Greg